Three days training on GIS Mapping and QGIS which conducted in the Atlas B&B Guesthouse in Dushanbe, Tajikistan on 2nd, 3rd and 4th of October, 2015. The course was designed for a user with little or no experience in QGIS. It helped the participants develop their skills using the Open Source Geographic Information System (GIS) software package Quantum GIS (QGIS) as a more cost-effective alternative to commercially available GIS packages such as ArcGIS and MapInfo.
The program provided a general understanding of the tools and features used in QGIS software to create and edit maps, create new layers and provide the facility to create high-quality output. The course focused on developing hands-on skills through individual computer-based practical sessions and trainer-led practical group works. The computer-based practical sessions were complemented by presentations, a brief field exercise and some group demonstrations.
The participants were all from Afghanistan representing a variety of organizations operating in different fields in Afghanistan. A total number of 5 delegates were present throughout the three days of the training. The following are their names, organizations and job titles.
1. Suliman Nazari – GIZ IDPP Balkh Afghanistan – Senior Project Engineer
2. Abdul Razaq Elham – UNOPS Afghanistan – GIS Specialist
3. Haqiqurahman Rahmani – Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) Geospatial Consultant, GIS Assistant
4. Abdul Latif Walizada – Agha Khan Education Service, Afghanistan – Disaster Risk Management Initiative Focal Point
5. Attiqullah Mayar – MEDAIR Afghanistan WASH Manager
The participants had full chance to ask questions and/or request description and/or practical explanation of a specific item they had in mind related to GIS and QGIS during the training. Below are some of them main contents covered in the program:
- What is GIS? Use of GIS applications in different fields?
- ESRI file-based geodatabases and their uses
- Importance of GIS applications in ecological decision making
- The main concepts and uses of QGIS
- Quantum GIS vs ArcGIS
- QGIS 2.10 ‘Pisa’ interface
- Adding, saving and changing layers
- Adding ArcInfo coverages into QGIS
- Mapping features, creating a basic map (components)
- Online support resources for GIS and QGIS
- Collection and management of data (points, line, polygon);
- Field work and tethering a GPS to QGIS software
- Importing data into QGIS software and exporting to MS Office applications
- Querying, digitizing and editing
- Vector data
- Using spatial databases in QGIS
- Spatial queries
- Data analysis and classification
- Create, manage and analyze ecological data sets
- Use of editing tools and features
- Saving map layouts in JPG, PDF and other formats
- Finalizing and printing maps for reports.