Soil condition plays the major role in profitable farming. Relevant soil conditions are critical to healthy growth of most plants. There are diverse issues that can arise with soil management such as poor nutrition, chemical imbalance, structural problems of drainage, lack of microbial life etc. Often minor and relatively inexpensive treatments can make a huge difference to productivity, but the problems need to be identified first, and that requires a solid understanding of soil theory and management practice. This comprehensive course will develop an understanding of physical and chemical properties of soils, the ability to carry out simple tests and determine soil characteristics, and to decide ways of treating a soil to improve its ability to grow plants.
This program is the best-fit for:
- Entrepreneurs in Agricultural Business
- Professionals working with agriculture and soils
- Students with Agricultural & Soil Studies
- Anyone who is willing to gain the understanding of effective soil management practices and on-farm cultivation decisions
Upon the successful completion of this short term training program the attendees will be able to:
- Describe different physical and chemical properties of soil for plant growing
- Correctly extract samples of soil and conduct a range of simple tests to determine their varying characteristics
- Explain the characteristics of soil and relate those to the capacity to grow plants.
- Recommend appropriate selection and management for growing plants in containers.
- Understanding of the principles of sustainable soil management
- Determine relevant management programs for different soils in horticultural situations.
- The physical and chemical properties of soils
- Natural process of soil development
- The Types and the structure of soils
- The foundations of effective soil management
- Opportunities and Limitations for the management of different soil types
- Crop rotations and cultivation for contrasting soil types
- The importance of soil organic matter and how to maintain/enhance levels.
- The main rock forming minerals; Types of rocks
- Soil Temperature
- Cation Exchange Capacity of Soil
- Improving Soils
- Fertilizers & Composting
- Factors affecting fertilizer application
- Sheet Composting; Trench Composting
- Soil Testing Methods
- Soil Analysis
- Sustainable Soil Management
- Organic Growing & Eco Gardening
- Natural Plant Nutrition
- Managing Earthworks
- Land Degradation & Soil Issues
- Soil Management in Orchards and Market Gardens.
Soil Management Training Workshop in Colombo, Sri Lanka is an interactive training course that requires the active participation of attendees. The trainer will be applying modern adult learning training techniques while leading the sessions. The practical examples and case studies will be shown, discussed and analyzed together with the participants. The field visit will be arranged in order to observe the applications of the theoretical knowledge acquired throughout the sessions.
Program Name: Soil Management Training Workshop in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Program Dates: 25 – 29 January 2021
Registration Closes on: 30 November 2020
Venue: Yoho Colombo City Hotel
Program Fee: $2450
Fee Covers: Visa Assistance (complementary), Participant Assessment, Airport Pickup, Accommodation, Wi-Fi, Breakfast, Workshop Kit, Interactive workshop, Program Materials, Local Expert, Practical Activities, Lunch, Refreshments, City Map, Field Visit, Certificate & Boat Tour.Register Online